The AARO Racing Forum

Home of the American Automobile Racing Organization
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Navigation
 Forum Index
 Rules
 Profile
 AARO
 
Latest topics
» Reality check (rest of the season)...
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:28 pm by ElectricWolf71

» 2017 Racing Season
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 pm by FitzwaterAustralia59

» The Random Discussion Thread (RDT) Part 18
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am by ElectricWolf71

» How bad was the "split/fight/whatever it was"
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:35 pm by Josh Mertz

» The Music Thread
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:37 pm by vbooy57

» 2015 PTRL XM Radio National Series Schedule
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:11 am by ElectricWolf71

» Leckliter to return to AARO?
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 am by DLeck6211

» 2015 PTRL XM Radio National Series Race 12: Music City (Fender 150)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 am by PCOPirate81

» 2017 Paint List
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 pm by vbooy57

» 2015 PTRL XM Radio National Series Main Thread/Info
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 pm by ElectricWolf71

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 69 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 pm
Statistics
We have 110 registered users
The newest registered user is garry9

Our users have posted a total of 43408 messages in 2708 subjects
Top posters
Nick399 (7428)
 
ElectricWolf71 (3933)
 
DLeck6211 (3612)
 
Its Webzic (3205)
 
Tanrar (2917)
 
VincentGiac426 (2365)
 
VerizonGuy12 (1943)
 
kensethfan (1904)
 
Tyson Lautenschlager (1658)
 
Jrod (1643)
 

Share | 
 

 How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kensethfan
World Racing Legend
avatar

Posts : 1904
Join date : 2009-08-25
Age : 19
Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

PostSubject: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 am

Because we are now nearing the end of the year, I feel a topic such as this is only appropriate.

The 2011 motorsport season will be a difficult one to forget for anybody envolved with racing. While five years may not look like a long time, it was within that short interval that any driver in the IZOD IndyCar Series was killed in the act. On that fateful day of October 16, where a bright sun overlooked the pavement that was called the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Dan Wheldon was taken from us in an eleven car crash, eleven laps into what was scheduled to be a 200 lap race. This was a man who could have taken up Dale Earnhardt and Ayrton Senna. Like the greats all three of them came to be, and while such an accident was probably bound to happen as it were, nobody expected the loss of a man who just won the greatest motorsport event in the United States, combined with the rarity of any death in motorsport in our standards. And now, coming upon the end of the year, we give him our last goodbyes.

On a more pleasant note, NASCAR will remember the 2011 Sprint Cup season as it's most competitive season to date. I'll remember it with a few defining bullet points:

- The year Kyle Busch was rightfully given what he deserved
- The year names such as Ambrose, Smith and Menard finally found victory lane
- Trevor Bayne's "win some, lose some" season
- Jeff Gordon comes back to win races like only he could.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. loses races like only he could.
- And the year Jimmie Johnson didn't win the damned championship.

Cheers to a brand new racing season!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kensethfanracing.webs.com/
Nick399
Forum Founder, Admin
Forum Founder, Admin
avatar

Posts : 7428
Join date : 2009-05-16
Age : 22

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 am

I can't remember what I didn't see.

_________________
Administrator and Founder of the AARO and its wonderful forum

"'cuz you dyin' if you don't live..."
Back to top Go down
http://awnmotorsports.forumandco.com
Block Camphausen
Racing Legend
avatar

Posts : 202
Join date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 am

The only two things I'll remember are the 2011 Indy 500 finish and that Fateful day in October at Las Vegas. Thats something that I still have trouble coming to grips with.
Back to top Go down
ElectricWolf71
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 3933
Join date : 2010-09-02
Age : 20
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:41 am

This was also the year we lost Marco Simoncelli, the Italian MotoGP newcomer in just his 2nd year with San Carlo Gresini. He was unique in the garage with his cheerful attitude and sense of humor, also his slight afro. We lost him on October 23, but he lives in every MotoGP fan's heart. The circuit in Misano was named after him in his honor.

Anyway, my favorite drivers finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in their biggest races of the year in their respected series: Trevor Bayne winning the Great American Race, J.R. Hildebrand with a silver in the. Indy 500, (which painsme to this day) and Landon Cassill finishing 3rd in the DRIVE4COPD 300 in N'wide thanks to Bowyer trying and failing to win.

F1? Same old, same old. Vettel dominates again. He's becoming the next Schumi.

_________________
Owner of the Palm Tree Racing League.
Music, motorsports, hockey and some good friends. What more could a guy want?
Resident Landon Cassill fan.
Back to top Go down
Block Camphausen
Racing Legend
avatar

Posts : 202
Join date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:43 am

Casey Lester wrote:
F1? Same old, same old. Vettel dominates again. He's becoming the next Schumi.
THE GERMANS ARE OUT TO TAKE OVER FORMULA 1! Razz
Back to top Go down
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
avatar

Posts : 1113
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:29 am

What happened to Dan was a tragedy, and he was one of the best of the decade in Indycar...but up there with Earnhardt, the best NASCAR driver of all time, and SENNA, the best F1 driver of all time? No.


_________________
Back to top Go down
Jimmy46
Racing Legend
avatar

Posts : 262
Join date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:56 am

This year was also the year when V8 Supercar driver Jason Richards lost his battle with cancer. He was a good driver. He was a cheerful driver.
Back to top Go down
Alta
Series Veteran
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 107

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:28 am

2011 Nascar season was fun as hell
Based Ambrose winning
Based Menard winning
Based Carpenter winning
Trevor Bayne trolling the 500
Indy 500 finish (Though i still feel horrible for Hildebrand)
Vettel confirming himself for Schumi status. Declares open season on F1 2011.
Pretty cool battle for the Cup championship
JIMMIE...LOSES, WE'RE OFF SCRIPT! WE'RE OF SCRIPT! CODE BLACK! CODE BLACK!
Kyle Busch finally getting kicked to the curb for being an a**hole.
The year that the Nascar media has reached the point of no return on their stupidity.
Some fun failure throughout the year including Kennedy, Neuenberger and others.

On a sadder note...
Losing Based Wheldon in a wreck that made that god awful Driven movie look semi-realistic ;_;
Simoncelli's dying in his horrendous MotoGP crash
Jason Richards losing battle with cancer
The late part of 2011 taking many names from the racing world. Wheldon, Simoncelli, Husemann, Richards and a few others.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 am

I will remember much good from the season, Bayne, Smith, Ambrose, Menard, and Carpenter with first time wins, a great championship battle involving no one named Jimmie Johnson. The Indy 500 had a great finish too, but that's overshadowed by the 16th of October, 2011. The world lost who I consider among Indycar's greatest all time: Dan Wheldon. Not only he lost his life, but many others, Simoncelli, Richards, etc. So, upon reflection, I qas quite entartained at times, but was reminded that such entertainment comes at a heavy price.
Back to top Go down
Tyson Lautenschlager
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1658
Join date : 2009-07-27
Age : 21
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:34 am

So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Ambrose, Smith, and Menard's wins.
-Ambrose finally getting his win at Montreal.
-Brad Keselowski's break out season.
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.
-Reed Sorenson "winning" at Road America.
-Ed Carpenter's awesome win at Kentucky.
-What I thought was going to be an Oriol Servia win at NHMS.
-James Hinchcliffe ****ing up at Mid-Ohio and it almost paying off for him.
-VETTEL DOMINATES WITH A BILLION POLES.
-Kurt Busch losing his Penske ride.
-Kyle Busch being parked the Texas weekend. Very Happy

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.
Back to top Go down
ElectricWolf71
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 3933
Join date : 2010-09-02
Age : 20
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Tyson Lautenschlager wrote:
So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Ambrose, Smith, and Menard's wins.
-Ambrose finally getting his win at Montreal.
-Brad Keselowski's break out season.
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.
-Reed Sorenson "winning" at Road America.
-Ed Carpenter's awesome win at Kentucky.
-What I thought was going to be an Oriol Servia win at NHMS.
-James Hinchcliffe ****ing up at Mid-Ohio and it almost paying off for him.
-VETTEL DOMINATES WITH A BILLION POLES.
-Kurt Busch losing his Penske ride.
-Kyle Busch being parked the Texas weekend. Very Happy

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.

This. He was dead when he hit the catchfence POST? I thought he died like 10 minutes later or something like that, but how unlucky can you be to take A CATCHFENCE SUPPORT RAIL to the helmet in an IndyCar? Well, that's why Wade Cunningham will forever be looked down upon in IndyCar. That's why you don't hold someone down in Lights for almost 10 years and then bring him up. He had a career before, but nobody took him somehow.

_________________
Owner of the Palm Tree Racing League.
Music, motorsports, hockey and some good friends. What more could a guy want?
Resident Landon Cassill fan.
Back to top Go down
DLeck6211
World Racing Legend


Posts : 3612
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 28
Location : Burger King

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 pm

-Trevor Bayne pulling the upset at Daytona.
-Regan Smith getting the win he deserved.
-Paul Menard showing that he is more than just a pay driver.
-Marcos Ambrose becoming a winner in the Nextel Cup series.
-Casey Les-I mean Brad Keselowski winning 2 races with a broken ankle.
-Kyle Busch being put in his place at Texas.
-Tony Stewart OMGHAXing the Chase.
-Jeff Gordon winning #85.
-Memorial Day weekend heartbreaks.
-Vettel OMGHAXing F1
-Ed Carpenter's win at Kentucky

and sadly, losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, and Marco Simoncelli.
Back to top Go down
VincentGiac426
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2365
Join date : 2009-05-30
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Pretty much what everyone else said already. Yes, I know I'm lazy. Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:31 pm

2011 was the year of Corvette and Audi triumphant over adversity at Le Mans.
Back to top Go down
Tyson Lautenschlager
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1658
Join date : 2009-07-27
Age : 21
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Casey Lester wrote:
Tyson Lautenschlager wrote:
So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Ambrose, Smith, and Menard's wins.
-Ambrose finally getting his win at Montreal.
-Brad Keselowski's break out season.
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.
-Reed Sorenson "winning" at Road America.
-Ed Carpenter's awesome win at Kentucky.
-What I thought was going to be an Oriol Servia win at NHMS.
-James Hinchcliffe ****ing up at Mid-Ohio and it almost paying off for him.
-VETTEL DOMINATES WITH A BILLION POLES.
-Kurt Busch losing his Penske ride.
-Kyle Busch being parked the Texas weekend. Very Happy

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.

This. He was dead when he hit the catchfence POST? I thought he died like 10 minutes later or something like that, but how unlucky can you be to take A CATCHFENCE SUPPORT RAIL to the helmet in an IndyCar? Well, that's why Wade Cunningham will forever be looked down upon in IndyCar. That's why you don't hold someone down in Lights for almost 10 years and then bring him up. He had a career before, but nobody took him somehow.

Cunningham wasn't in the race.. Were you thinking of Saavedra?
Back to top Go down
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
avatar

Posts : 1113
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Tyson Lautenschlager wrote:
Casey Lester wrote:
Tyson Lautenschlager wrote:
So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Ambrose, Smith, and Menard's wins.
-Ambrose finally getting his win at Montreal.
-Brad Keselowski's break out season.
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.
-Reed Sorenson "winning" at Road America.
-Ed Carpenter's awesome win at Kentucky.
-What I thought was going to be an Oriol Servia win at NHMS.
-James Hinchcliffe ****ing up at Mid-Ohio and it almost paying off for him.
-VETTEL DOMINATES WITH A BILLION POLES.
-Kurt Busch losing his Penske ride.
-Kyle Busch being parked the Texas weekend. Very Happy

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.

This. He was dead when he hit the catchfence POST? I thought he died like 10 minutes later or something like that, but how unlucky can you be to take A CATCHFENCE SUPPORT RAIL to the helmet in an IndyCar? Well, that's why Wade Cunningham will forever be looked down upon in IndyCar. That's why you don't hold someone down in Lights for almost 10 years and then bring him up. He had a career before, but nobody took him somehow.

Cunningham wasn't in the race.. Were you thinking of Saavedra?


Cunningham was in the race....Driving for AFS/Sam Schmidt. He and Hinch made contact to start it off. On TV they incorrectly identified him as Saavedra.

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid. That post reads as incredibly ignorant, unfounded, and untrue.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Alta
Series Veteran
avatar

Posts : 136
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 107

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

If anything should be looked down for causing his death was racing at a track that raced like Talladega but was a narrow as Bristol.
Back to top Go down
VincentGiac426
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 2365
Join date : 2009-05-30
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm

moppenheimer wrote:
Cunningham was in the race....Driving for AFS/Sam Schmidt. He and Hinch made contact to start it off. On TV they incorrectly identified him as Saavedra.

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid.

This. No offense, Ty, but it's a bit like claiming it was Sterling Marlin's fault Dale Earnhardt died.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm

AAROdynamic426 wrote:
moppenheimer wrote:
Cunningham was in the race....Driving for AFS/Sam Schmidt. He and Hinch made contact to start it off. On TV they incorrectly identified him as Saavedra.

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid.

This. No offense, Ty, but it's a bit like claiming it was Sterling Marlin's fault Dale Earnhardt died.
*Casey.
Back to top Go down
ElectricWolf71
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 3933
Join date : 2010-09-02
Age : 20
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Alta wrote:
If anything should be looked down for causing his death was racing at a track that raced like Talladega but was a narrow as Bristol.

Truth. IndyCar at Las Vegas = pale

_________________
Owner of the Palm Tree Racing League.
Music, motorsports, hockey and some good friends. What more could a guy want?
Resident Landon Cassill fan.
Back to top Go down
Chives5150
World Racing Legend
avatar

Posts : 1636
Join date : 2011-07-10
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

There were so many different reasons for the crash to start...
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Chives5150?feature=mhee
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
avatar

Posts : 1113
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

If you dont want to feel like a dips***, don't act like a dips***.
Crapfest Deleted. Drop it.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   

Back to top Go down
 
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» BMW and MINI at the 2011 Goodwood Motorsport Press Day
» big thanks to triton motorsport
» Genetrix 2011
» Sunday 2 January 2011
» Winter 2010/2011 weather prediction

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The AARO Racing Forum :: Welcome To The AARO Forum :: Racing Discussion-
Jump to: